Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gonna Change My Way of Thinking

Gonna Change My Way of Thinking as performed in Beijing
(Alternate Version w/ original last verse)
as recorded by Bob Dylan & Mavis Staples on the compilation Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan (2003 Sony/Columbia) originally recorded on the album Slow Train Coming 1979. Words and music by Bob Dylan

Change my way of thinking, make myself a different set of rules
Change my way of thinking, make myself a different set of rules
Put my best foot forward, stop being influenced by fools

I’m sittin’ at the welcome table, I’m so hungry I could eat a horse
I’m sittin’ at the welcome table, I’m so hungry I could eat a horse
I’m gonna revitalize my thinking, I’m gonna let the law take it’s course

Jesus is calling, He’s coming back to gather up his jewels
Jesus is calling, He’s coming back to gather up his jewels
We living by the golden rule, whoever got the gold rules

The sun is shining, ain’t but one train on this track
The sun is shining, ain’t but one train on this track
I’m stepping out of the dark woods, I’m jumping on the monkey’s back

I’m all dressed up, I’m going to the county dance
I’m all dressed up, I’m going to the county dance
Every day you got to pray for guidance
Every day you got to give yourself a chance

Storms are on the ocean, storms on the mountain, too
Storms are on the ocean, storms on the mountain, too
Oh Lord, you know I have no friend like you

Change my way of thinking, make myself a different set of rules
Change my way of thinking, make myself a different set of rules
Put my best foot forward, stop being influenced by fools

3 comments:

Lafawnda said...

Go babycakes!I love you!xxx

bill said...

Many thanks. With all the blather about Dylan not playing protest songs in China, it is good to see and hear the song he kicked of each concert with! U can't get more subversive than praising God!

Johnson said...

Mine.

“The highest form of song is prayer.”
-Bob Dylan

STOCKHOLM 04.05.2002


Just a few days after performing at the 2002 Grammy's, Bob Dylan recorded a new re-write of "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" for "Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan" with longtime friend Mavis Staples. One month later he would kick off a new tour in Stockholm Sweden and perform Solid Rock (what many consider the theme song to his gospel era concerts) for the first time in 20 years. Dylan would continue to perform this rousing song as well as other gospel era songs at numerous concerts across Europe and beyond. The two-time Grammy nominated compilation would be released on Sony/Columbia one year later on April 1, 2003.



Sinead O'Connor - Property Of Jesus